September 01, 2011

Dairy Free Chocolate Brownies


DSCF7492-1

How can that be I hear you say, you can't make chocolate brownies without milk? Sure you can, and they taste amazing too!

If you follow my blog you might know I'm on a milk free diet for three weeks, I've got about a week left now and I don't think I could cope without some brownies to satisfy my chocolate cravings.

Here's my recipe - adapted from Delia's American Brownies

Brownie Ingredients

1. Melt butter & chocolate in a bain-marie
2. Away from the heat, sift flower, baking powder & salt. Whisk eggs until slightly frothy and fold into the flower.
3. Add sugar: there are lots of options on the sugar front - the original recipe calls for granulated, I like caster with a little agave nectar & syrup, sometimes I use muscovado for a rich taste.
4. Add the chocolate butter mix to the other ingredients and stir in; make sure the mixture is smooth but don't over mix.
5. Pour the mixture into a lined tin: I use a 7" by 12 1/2" tin for brownies about an inch deep, if you use a smaller tin for deeper brownies you'll get them nice and gooey in the centre but it can turn into an uneaven bake and if you go too deep the edges will become really dry and the top may cave in.

To make the heart I dusted the whole brownie with icing sugar then made a heart stencil and dusted some edible pink powder on.

I use 'Pure' dairy free spread, you can get, olive, sunflower oil and soya, I haven't tried the soya because I don't like soya milk, I'm not a big fan of the sunflower but the olive one is lovely.

The chocolate I use is Waitrose Continental Plain Chocolate which has no milk in.

I'm fine with eggs but if you aren't you could always youse an egg replacer.

DSCF7495-1

Enjoy!

picasion.com_27c31077cbccc14ea6339637ef3da15c

x



No comments: